Projects • Initiatives
Several MAAE's programs, projects and initiatives include helping to provide classroom resources for teacher use with students, professional development opportunities and other forms of support.
Areas of focused interest include:
- Professional Learning Networks
MAIN events - [Missouri Arts Integration Network] free monthly meetings of arts integration practitioners for teachers of any subject, at any grade level. Learn more here.
FAME Leadership Group [Fine Arts Missouri Educators] s geared toward arts educators who take on leadership roles in their setting, but open to all. The group meets monthly via ZOOM to discuss current issues of interest to Missouri's arts educators, and features a presenter to share information and learning opportunities. Learn more here.
IDEA - [Inclusion, Diversity and Equity in the Arts] quarterly meetings structured to provide a safe space for discussions and roundtable support for Missouri Arts educators facing challenging issues in this sphere. Learn more here.
- COLLABORATIVE OUTREACH
- COVID-19 Response
- Race, Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity
- Arts Integration and STEAM
- Early Learning Task Force
- Mentoring Support
MAAE Committee and Initiative Leadership
Advisory Council - Aaron Money, chair
Arts Integration - Dr. Robert Gifford, chair
Awards and Recognition - Phyllis Pasley, chair
Early Learning Task Force - Phyllis Pasley, chair
FAME Leadership Group-Phyllis Pasley, chair
COVID-19 Work Group - Jeff Sandquist, chair
Fine Arts Education Day - Jeff Sandquist, chair
Issues of Racism, Inclusion, Diversity, Equity - [RIDE]- Maria A. Ellis, chair
Senate Hall Art Exhibit - Vicki Bean, chair
Student Advocacy Training (SMarts) - Teri Turner, chair
PROGRAMS TO EDUCATE and PROMOTE
MAAE has several projects designed to educate and inform about issues that affect arts education. One facet or our work is to provide tools to facilitate conversation among Missouri's arts advocates and their elected officials and policy makers at the local, regional and state and national level.
Areas of focused interest include:
MAAE recognizes both academic excellence, excellence in artistic performance and advocacy support for arts education in Missouri. Each recognition program has its own rules for submission and award recipients are typically honored in a ceremony during the MAAE Fine Arts Education Day at the State Capitol.
Senate Hall Art Exhibit Project - featuring student artwork from every senatorial district
All-State Ensembles -MAAE provides financial support for these programs.
- All-State Choir Program - sponsored by MCDA
- All-State Band Program - sponsored by MBA
- All-State Jazz Band Program - sponsored by MoAJE
- All-State Orchestra Program - sponsored by MoASTA
- All-State Theatre Program - sponsored by Missouri Thespians
Awards and Recognition program for Arts Education recognizing outstanding students, teachers, administrators, and policy makers.
- National Student Arts Advocate Award
- Missouri Alliance for Arts Education Schools of Excellence Awards
- MAAE Student Essay Contest
- The MAAE Creativity and Innovation in Teaching Award
- The MAAE Arts Education Community Champion
- The MAAE Administrator of the Year Award
- The Missouri Alliance for Arts Education and the Missouri School Boards’ Association School District of Distinction in Arts Education Award
- The Missouri Alliance for Arts Education State Government Advocate for Arts Education Award
Formal published research studies "Arts Education makes a difference in Missouri Schools" (2010) and "Arts Education still makes a difference in Missouri Schools (2015)
Support for the Arts Education Data Project - a web-based dashboard tool which numerically identifies student access to arts education and trends over time.
COVID impact studies - surveys collecting data of the impact of cancellations on K-12 institutions, and creative professionals.
Research to help address issues of Race, Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity
Connecting Arts Communities
Working with Arts Agencies and Institutions in providing arts education experiences, collaborative arts integration coaching, student enrichment and performance opportunities from Missouri teachers and students.