Strategic Plan 2020-2021
GOAL I. Create and maintain a vibrant network of Arts Educators
A. Improve and expand current communications systems
B. Increase collaboration - with new organizations, and deepen collaborative relationships among member and affiliate organizations
C. Strengthen relationships among member and affiliate organizations to increase knowledge, effectiveness and capacity for collective action.
GOAL II. CONTINUE existing initiatives to Connect • Educate • Promote • Celebrate and Research in support of Arts Education in Missouri
1. MEMBER ORGANIZATIONS and CONFERENCES
2. STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION and DEPARTMENT OF ELEMENTARY and SECONDARY EDUCATION
3. COLLABORATION with organizations which share a common mission/goal(s)
1. PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
2. MEMBER ORGANIZATION CONFERENCES - ongoing professional development
3. ARTS INTEGRATION – Committee working with a multi-year vision for Arts Integration and STEAM
C. PROMOTE ARTS EDUCATION
1. MISSOURI FINE ARTS STANDARDS – The MAAE supported and encouraged the State Board of Education and DESE to review and develop the new fine arts standards in Missouri schools.
2. FINE ARTS EDUCATION DAY annual event at the state capitol in Jefferson City
3. SHOW-ME ARTS (SMArts) and the SMArts Student Summit
D. CELEBRATE EXCELLENCE
1. MEMBER ORGANIZATION CONFERENCES - MAAE provides financial support for student excellence within All-State Ensembles. Thousands of students from across Missouri participate annually in the regional multi-level audition process resulting in a select few who advance to the 'All-State' level. These all-state performance ensembles engage students in high level artistic experiences, allowing them to work alongside their gifted peers with nationally acclaimed directors.
2. MISSOURI FINE ARTS AND SCHOLARS ACADEMIES – MAAE continues to support re-instating the Missouri Fine Arts and Scholars Academies which were zeroed out of recent state budgets, and interrupted by COVID 19. The loss of the academies directly affects the students served by educators in our member organizations. It is our goal to see the programs reinstated at no cost to the individual students selected to attend the academies.
3. MAAE AWARDS AND RECOGNITION PROGRAM - MAAE recognizes excellence and outstanding support through its series of awards.
1. ARTS EDUCATION RESEARCH After completing two research studies Arts Education Makes a Difference in Missouri Schools (2010), and Arts Education Still Makes a Difference in Missouri Schools (2015) MAAE is looking for additional research topics and projects to provide data to help inform and shape arts education in Missouri’s schools.
2. ARTS EDUCATION DATA PROJECT - MAAE is working with other statewide partners and Quadrant Research to bring the AEDP to Missouri. Work is ongoing.
GOAL III. EMERGING INITIATIVES FOR THE MISSOURI ALLIANCE FOR ARTS EDUCATION
A. PRE-K Arts Instruction -Rationale: With the increased development of Pre-K programs as a part of school districts around the state, there is a need to allow the Pre-K learner to engage in high quality arts experiences, taught and/or supported by certified arts specialists.
B. RACISM, INCLUSION, DIVERSITY, EQUITY – Rationale: In light of events of 2020, MAAE formed a committee to address systemic racism and bias in arts education in Missouri. This committee chaired by Maria A. Ellis is taking action to understand and dismantle racism, promote inclusion and equity and celebrate diversity.
C. MEDIA ARTS - Rationale: The approval of Missouri Learning Standards in the area of Fine Arts in 2019 included Media Arts. MAAE anticipates a time when Media Arts joins dance, music, theatre and visual arts among those fine arts MAAE works to support.
D. MISSOURI ARTS INTEGRATION NETWORK [MAIN] - The establishment of a professional learning network will provide increased opportunities to support, educate and inspire arts integration practitioners, and thereby promote arts integration
E. COVID-19 - Continue to address issues related to health and safety as it relates to the delivery of high quality arts education experiences in the midst of a pandemic or other health crisis.
GOAL IV. Continue Arts Advocacy for Fine Arts education at the state level
A. Develop and Strengthen Partnerships coordinating advocacy efforts with member and affiliate organizations.
B. Partnership with MMEA to support advocacy efforts in common with MAAE
GOAL V. Strengthen the economic sustainability of the Alliance
A. Engage additional organizations as members and affiliates
B. Increase donor contributions from individuals and corporations
C. Identify and apply for new Grant Opportunities
D. Maintain positive relationships with existing grantors and donors