GOAL I. Create and maintain a vibrant network of Arts Educators
A. Improve and expand current communications systems
B. Strengthen relationships among member and affiliate organizations to increase knowledge, effectiveness and capacity for collective action.
C. Increase collaboration - with new organizations, and deepen collaborative relationships among member and affiliate organizations
GOAL II. CONTINUE existing initiatives to Connect • Educate • Promote • Celebrate and Research in support of Arts Education in Missouri
1. Statewide Arts Ed Organization Conferences
2. State Board Of Education And Department Of Elementary And Secondary Education
1. Professional Development Conferences Sponsored By Statewide Arts Ed Organizations
2. Professional Development In Arts Integration
3. Professional Development Involving Issues Of Equity, Diversity, And Inclusion
4. Missouri Learning Standards In Fine Arts
5. Other Professional Development And Arts Educator Support
PROMOTE ARTS EDUCATION
1. Fine Arts Education Day Annual Event At The State Capitol In Jefferson City
2. Show-me Arts (Smarts) And The Smarts Student Summit
3. ENGAGING STAKEHOLDER SUPPORT FOR ARTS EDUCATION
1. Arts Education Research - K-12
2. Arts Education In Early Learning
3. Hot Topic Surveys
4. Arts Education Data Project
1. Member Organization Conference Honors Ensembles
2. Maae-maea Senate Artswalk Exhibit
3. Missouri Fine Arts And Scholars Academies
4. Maae Awards And Recognition Program -
GOAL III. EMERGING INITIATIVES FOR MISSOURI ALLIANCE FOR ARTS EDUCATION
A. MEDIA ARTS -
Rationale: The approval of Missouri Learning Standards in the area of Fine Arts in 2019 included Media Arts. DESE will announce those courses that will be labeled as media arts courses, the required teacher certification for each course and alignment to graduation requirements for each course by January 15, 2022. Full implementation will be expected by Fall 2023. MAAE anticipates welcoming and working with media arts teachers as this new arts area continues to emerge.
B. Teacher Preparation, Retention and Recruitment of Missouri’s Fine Arts Educators
Rationale: With significant attention from DESE, from colleagues in higher education and a growing need for arts teachers in Missouri Schools, MAAE currently has no clear direction to address issues related to teacher preparation, collegiate graduation rates, retention and recruitment. MAAE anticipates the need for research and the development of an action plan to address these issues.
C. Program Evaluation Measurement -
Rationale: MAAE’s mission to work in helping provide ALL Missouri students the opportunity to enjoy “high quality” arts education, yet we have not clearly defined the characteristics of what is viewed as “high quality” in urban, suburban and rural school settings. In many cases, we’ve stopped at “access to” arts education, or measure enrollment only. MAAE recognizes the value of developing program evaluation criteria beyond enrollment numbers in helping improve the quality of arts education experiences enjoyed by Missouri students. MAAE also recognizes that there are issues of capacity and sustainability for data collection, and that additional research is needed. It is also noted that there have been efforts to define quality arts education programs by national arts education organizations. An examination of existing documents, and best-practice research may provide guidance for MAAE in this area.
D. Arts Education for Career and Workforce Development
Rationale: The value of the arts in leading to future success, in both the field of arts education and in other areas is a widely held belief. MAAE advocacy work would benefit from compilation of data and availability of resources to support advocacy efforts in this area. Tasks may include Identification of existing arts-related careers in the state of Missouri and how strong arts education experiences contribute to the efforts which lead to students becoming productive citizens, who generate revenue leading to a stronger Missouri.
GOAL IV. Strengthen the economic sustainability of the Alliance
Maintain positive relationships with existing grantors and donors -
Engage additional organizations as members and affiliates -
Increase donor contributions from individuals and corporations -
Develop fund-raising initiatives
Identify and apply for new Grant Opportunities