Projects to improve Using the arts and teaching through the arts to improve educational practice and student outcomes
MAAE sponsored a series of listening sessions with a purpose of uncovering the reasons why there are so few participants of color involved in professional development conferences or student performance/exhibition opportunities.
By listening to our colleagues, we hope to become more informed and help devise next steps.
This research project was completed in August-October, 2020 with LISTENING SESSIONS to uncover areas of bias or systemic racism in our work within professional development conferences and students of color involvement in honors ensembles.
This report is the beginning of work still to be done. Sharing the report with arts ed colleagues and continuing our own internal work is just a part of this process.
Arts Organization Outreach Resources (also a subcategory on professional development resources)
1. Minneapolis Star-Tribune (06-08-20) Minneapolis Arts Community Supports Change in Tangible Ways
2. State Education Agency Directors of Arts Education (06-11-20) Equity Position Statement
3. Americans for the Arts (06-01-20) Statement on Supporting Black Communities
4. Minnesota Citizens for the Arts MCA Statement on the Murder of George Floyd
5. National Dance Education Organization (06-02-20) NDEO Black Lives Matter Statement
6. American Choral Directors Association (06-03-20) On the Murder of George Floyd and the Impacts of Racism
7. National League of Cities (06-26-20) Racial Equity and Embracing Healing Through the Arts
8. The Ground We Stand On “We See You, White American Theater”
9. National Association of Latino Arts and Cultures (June 2020) E-Boletín eblast
10. Abraham in Motion Statement of Support for Black Lives Matter
11. Modern Language Association Statement Deploring Systemic Racism
12. Nominate an artist for the Orr Street Black Artist-in-Residence Program
13. Rudy Sanchez, Diline (06-30-20) Inaugural “Where are the Black Designers” Conference Explores Racism in the Design Community and How to Move Forward
Working with partners, identifying and working to reduce or eliminate areas of exclusion, while foster inclusive arts opportunities will help us attain our goals for equity. We'll post here highlights of evidence that may provide a source of hope that our mission to provide quality arts education experiences for ALL Missourians will one day be realized.
Lebanon, MO - Global Cultural Fair - student research to celebrate people of the world and their cultures and to seek personal points of connection; Mural commissioned by Cbabi Bayoc to help "bring the world" to Lebanon, HS.
Have a story to share, please contact email@example.com.